Thursday, July 8, 2010

I made it! (Paris)


(Partially written while in Paris three weeks ago)

I was slightly terrified about taking my three trains from my beloved Brantome out to big city Paris! After having a little potty folly (I still think I might have done it wrong! I went to a pay bathroom at the train station and when I went in there was no toilet...just a hole...and a wet metal ring suspended from the wall that you had to lower...it was very weird and I basically just ended up standing. Okay, enough about toilets!) I thought that might be a sign of things to come. However, after Kim so patiently waited for my first train to take off safely, and with me on it, I got to the airport (not the best way to get to Paris, however that was where I was meeting Alex in a week, so had to make sure my departure was from there) bought my RER ticket, met an American who had no idea where to go (I could relate), helped him find the correct RER, then metro train (thank Kim for the fact that she gave me a really good metro map, and it was in French so I looked less like a tourist which got extra points for me!) and the direction of his hostel. I then miraculously was able to find my own flat where I was staying and later on meeting my friend from Oregon.

After I met with my AirBnB host and checked in, I walked up to Sacre Coeur, which was just a few blocks away and explored the Montmartre area a bit and spent some time people watching (which could be done endlessly most anywhere in Paris!) and got my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower!

My friend arrived that evening and we went to a cute pizza bistro and enjoyed the scenes of joy for the Cup fans who were watching the French play that night. Perfect timing and something not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment