Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Babies. Babies. Babies.

SB_Twins_Ethiopia_TouchedUp...Someday! This is Sara, she works for the organization savingmoses.org and her team found these twin girls abandoned in a field outside of Addis when they were just a few weeks old (they're almost one now, healthy and safe in an orphanage).
Anyone who knows me well would laugh, or simply be confused, by the fact that I am feeling the strong desire to be a mother. One day. Not yet. Also, not by birth. I have felt my entire life that I have been called to be the mother of children that I did not give birth to. I have three sisters who are adopted and I literally could not love them more. I do not have the fear, sadly as some people do, that I would not love or accept an adopted child as I would a birth child. To me, I may even love and accept that child more because I know that they have had a harder life in their few short months than any birth child of mine would.
When Alex and I met we discussed children (of course) and we decided together that we wouldn't have children before I was thirty. Well, I'm nearing twenty five and as horrifying as it is, my biological (is that what it's still called when it's ticking to adopt?) clock is ticking!

I am very thankful that I have married a man that fully supports and desires having a family that has adoptive children in it. We're not sure if we'll ever have birth children, it's something that we're allowing to be up in the air. What we do know is that we will adopt and I can't wait! Unfortunately, you have to pass a homestudy before adopting and that isn't happening until we are living on our own again. So, for now that means saving for a down payment, working as much as possible, and trying not to obsess over the fact that we want to adopt twins (most likely from Ethiopia, but who knows what will change in the next few years) internationally and it's going to take years for the whole process.

Oh well, in the meantime I'm researching, learning from friends and family who have adopted, and day after tomorrow Alex and I are going to an international adoption informative meeting in the city! Woo-hoo...

No comments:

Post a Comment