Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meeting.

Last night's meeting went well. We were by far the youngest and most knowledgeable there. People were actually asking me questions after the meeting! Oh well. There were still a few things that I hadn't really thought of, such as attachments. Now, this is probably one of the most basic things that most people would think of. However, I think that being a nanny and babysitting for over a decade must have given me an inflated sense of ability with kids. I hadn't thought about babies really having that problem, older kids yes, but babies? Then the man running the group (he has adopted two girls from China) told us that his two daughters cried through the night the first several nights they were in China (when you adopt from China it is required that you stay 12 days). We also watched a movie where ALL of the parents said the same thing of their children. But, they also all said how they got over it soon and all fell in love with each other. They had a montage at the end with all of these kids playing with their families while the song, "Somewhere Out There" (you 80's kids may remember it from "An American Tail")...I may have become slightly misty eyed.
Since the meeting I have to say that I have a sense of calm that I think I've been lacking this past month or so. I just felt like I now know that if this is what we want, it's going to happen. And we can do it on our own time. I would love to start the process soon (again, looking at years here), however I also now know that we can start some of the processes soon so that when we do have our house and are ready for the homestudy (for those that don't know, this is four meetings where a social worker comes to your home and interviews you, makes sure the house is safe and talks to you about any problems that may come up) we won't have to start from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment