Friday, February 5, 2010

Day of Adventure!!

Yesterday Alex and I had Adventure Day! That means we woke up at a ridiculous hour (5:45am), couldn't go back to sleep, so I told Alex to get his...butt, out of bed. We pulled some clothes on, no showers, make-up...or deodorant and hopped out the door. We got to the Cheeseboard just as they were opening and the crusty cheesy rolls were still warm. (If you live in the bay area this is something you should experience!) We grabbed our rolls and some juice and drove to Old Town Oakland. We randomly found a farmer's market complete with whole dead chickens (heads and all!), sorry I didn't get a picture. We then happened upon a Smart and Final (Costco, without the membership, we had never been), they have tons of restaurant supplies too. I decided I'd like to open a snow cone cart someday...

We decided to keep the adventures going and grabbed a loaf of bread to feed the ducks at Lake Merritt. We saw two pelicans, a bunch of geese and ducks and basically got to experience a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds! (The photo really doesn't do justice to the sheer volume of birds!) The seagulls nearly attacked me when I threw the first piece of bread into the water, and bonus: they started pooping EVERYWHERE out of excitement! You can imagine my horror (and how quickly I shoved my bag of bread back into my purse) when they
pooped on a poor woman running by me...
Alex was a little creeped out by this duck(?) its face had a weird red skin and it breathed really loudly each time it went to get a bite of bread. This was the only picture I could get of Alex feeding it since he would snap his hand back so quickly!

We went home to grab a quick bite (still no showers) then headed out for a little Virginia Bakery treat and tennis at the
Berkeley Rose garden!
Even though it felt like at least seven pm, it was only three and it was still hours before
Fondue Fred opened for dinner so we decided to stall at buffalo exchange (Alex got a vintage shirt, I got cords).

It was our first time getting Fondue and Fondue Fred's was actually good (despite the terrible yelp reviews!) we got a salad and huge basket of bread with our pot of Asiago Fondue (SOOO good!) and because it was their anniversary
special I got a free glass of wine too!

We wrapped up our lengthy adventure day with a little reading at Borders and a couple red box movies...then fell asleep before eleven...Oh, the life of the adventurous!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoys these before you have kids!After you have kids, just leaving the house is an adventure! It sounds like you guys had fun :)

    ReplyDelete